Sunday, May 25, 2008

In The Dog House

Friday night my daughter asked me if her friend (who has moved out of town) could visit on Saturday. I said yes. I spoke to the girl’s mom and it turned out they has to take a trip to Chicago for the day and wanted to leave the girl with us while they did. I said it sounded fine. I told her mom to have the child ready to go bird watching. The mom said they would drop her off at 10. Great!
In all of this I did not consult with my husband. He was not happy. It turns out he was looking forward to a quiet day in the outdoors with his family. The addition of another 10 year old girl would insure that it would not be quiet in anyway. But his feathers were only a little ruffled, as the girls had not spent much time together recently he was willing to let this slide by for the girls’ sake.
Then Saturday came. 10:00 came and 10:00 went. Then 10:30 and 10:45 slipped by, he was getting hotter and hotter with each passing minute. I was concerned that I had misunderstood maybe she meant next week or Sunday. Finally Deer called -they were on the way. They arrived at 11:05. 65 minutes late. Deer was hopping mad. The girl apologized, she said they had stopped for breakfast and it took them longer than they thought.
???? Ok, so why on earth didn’t her parents call? Why didn’t they say, ‘we are at X restaurant and we see that it is now 10:00 and we are still waiting on our food. We will be there as soon as we can. Sorry for the inconvenience’? I do understand that sometimes things happen and things take longer, but an hour longer without a phone call. To make things worse they were traveling with another couple and the other couple was meeting them in the Sam’s club parking lot. So this other couple had been waiting in a parking lot for them for the same amount of time.
I didn’t know they were carpooling until the girl told me. How could they be so rude? It is one thing to keep us waiting at our house, but to keep them waiting in a parking lot for an hour. My husband is disgusted and has told me that the next time the girls want to visit to talk to him before I agree to anything. One thing is for sure I will make sure when she visits again that we will have nothing planned and that the time is very clear.

No comments:

Blog Archive