The Illinois Department of Natural Resources calls Sand Ridge State Forest a “birdwatchers paradise” I am inclined to believe them. I saw a male and female Scarlet Tanager. I actually heard the male first and I went off to find him when I found him he was so pretty and so very red. He was singing and singing then I realized he was performing for someone and she was responding. He would sing and she would respond then she would flutter to a new branch or another tree. Every time he would sing she would chirp back and flutter to a new place. She wasn’t actually singing would just chirp a little response and then he would sing again. If I had not looked these birds up before we left for our trip I wouldn’t have know they were the same bird- the male is a stunning red and the female is yellow. They were an interesting pair.
In the campground near the latrine, there was a tall dead hollow tree trunk that my daughter said sounded like a buzz saw. Each of us in turn went to hear the tree. Of course I hear nothing, but the tree did have some nice sized holes in it. So I decided that each time I needed walked across the campground to the latrine I would keep my eyes on the top of that tree trunk. I did not have to make many trips when I saw a Pileated Woodpecker and I heard the very loud nest of babies inside the trunk. We heard the woodpecker make tons of noise banging away at trees all around us the entire time were there. One time it or perhaps its mate or another bird trying to invade its territory was making a huge racket. It flew around wildly and started making the biggest bird sound you can imagine. The sound was almost a barking dog it was so aggressive.
The Scarlet Tanager and the Pileated Woodpecker are the only birds that I saw that I don’t also see at home. I did however hear a ton of birds I saw and was able to hear a black-capped chickadee. There was some sort of warbler that I could not see well enough to clearly identify and it would not stay still long enough to find with my binoculars. The only thing I can say is it was yellow. We did hear owls and many whip-poor-wills, wild turkey, warblers, a catbird, of course the scarlet tanager and pileated woodpecker, chickadees. I was hoping to see an ovenbird- I heard one, but it kept moving about too much for me to find it. I also think I might have finally seen a tufted titmouse it was just behind a leaf, and when I move to get a clearer view I spooked it and it flew off. I understand the tufted titmouse is supposed to be common, but I have never seen one. I also heard a bird that I think sounded like bubbling water I am looking for the sound but I don’t know what it is yet.
Sand Ridge State Forest- Birdwatcher’s Paradise
Friday, May 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment