Thursday, February 12, 2009

On The Rocks

We have had the “new” refrigerator for about 3 years. The week after the fridge was delivered I went out and got the $8 a kit so we could run water to the refrigerator for the ice maker. That is as close as we got to hooking it up. Well last weekend after my we got the tub working (which is not working again. But I’ll get back to that) I was looking through our home improvement book for some help on drippy facets (I’ll get back to that too) I came across instruction on how to use this kit that we had. The books instructions were much clearer than the ones that come with the kit. I decided that they looked so easy, that I would just get up right then and just do this. Well nothing is ever that simple.
First problem I didn’t have drill bit big enough to drill a hole in the floor behind the fridge that that the waterline would fit through. So I went to Menards -the bit I needed was under $3. So I drove back home. I have ceramic tile in my kitchen. I decided that the tile was too hard for my drill to get thru so I took a chisel and hammer and broke a small section off the corner of one tile and drilled my hole. Sounds simple doesn’t it? I was off the mark by ½ inch and I had drilled into the floor joist. So I had to break the tile next to it and drill again. Ok. Now I was ready for the hard stuff. I hooked up the saddle to the cold water then I just hook the water line to the saddle….. “hold on…where are the parts that hook the tube thing to the saddle?” The kit was missing the connectors.
I didn’t panic yet “I’ll just go to Menards and buy the parts I need.” Only $2! So far so good, right? They didn’t fit. Why? I don’t know? By this time I was ticked- I took back the $2 part and was so mad I bought a new water line kit that had the connectors already attached to the line. Smart Huh? I get back home and the hole in the floor is too small for the line to pass through with the connector already attached.
“I have started this project and it is easy. I am not letting a little thing like ceramic tile beat me.”
I won! Just know if you are ever in my house don’t look at the floor behind the refrigerator.
Once the new and improved line was through the floor, I had the water line hooked up and the water running through it in just 5 minutes; but it took 5 hours to make a hole in the floor and get the right parts.
It was all worth it; and next time you are in my house, I can offer you ice with your drink.

No comments:

Blog Archive